Labels

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

In the Sukkah We Shall Sit for 7 Days...

As the Jewish New Year holiday season continues into it's final stretch we are in final preparations for sukkot.  I procrastinated planning our sukkah with a sense of overwhelm.  Most of my holiday focus is generally on menu planning, food shopping, cooking, baking and finding enough freezer space. My husband took care of building the structure, electrical wiring and some back-up fans as protection against the impending heat wave. I was tasked with interior design. 

I felt a certain amount of pressure for the decorating of our sukkah to be a great experience for my kids and me together and at the same time a desire for it to be elegant and welcoming home for the next 7 days.  Childhood memories crept in with what seemed like hours of standing on ladders, cutting string, hanging and re-hanging all of the shiny decorations until they were correctly fastened and I quickly realized having my kids share this process with me from start to finish would be fun for nobody.  

I finally felt the inspiration today, (there's nothing like the last minute- the holiday begins after a full work day tomorrow) and ran a quick errand to Michael's Crafts. They had some fantastic floral arrangements, really pretty silk hydrangeas in fall jewel tones that would be perfect.  I caught a roll of burlap twine in the sale bin on the way out and the best little hint, translucent, elastic fish wire meant for jewelry making and voila our elegant sukkah awaits...my kids will add the finishing touches in the morning, putting their personal stamp on it and making this a great experience for all.






And because I can't resist, a sample menu for the holiday.
Chag Sameach!

Round Cinnamon Challahs
Chicken won-tons with apricot dipping sauce
Prime Rib Part Deux
Braised Honey Mustard Garlic Chicken Thighs with Shallots
Roasted vegetable platter: beet Fries, brussel sprouts, squash
Mashed Parsnip Soufflé with Caramelized Onions
Cherry Tomato Crisp
Shitake Asparagus Green Salad 

Chocolate Caramel and Pecan tart
Berries



No comments:

Post a Comment